11/02/2020

Did I Predict the 92nd Oscar Winners?

(beep)

hello and welcome to the aftermath of the 92nd Oscars awards show, woo.

last week, James and I chatted on the podcast about who we think might win the different categories at the oscars! I thought it would be cool to go through each category now we know the winners and compare my original thoughts! 

listen to/read the previous post before you look at this one if you want: https://annasnothere.blogspot.com/2020/02/are-film-awards-shows-still-needed.html


BEST PICTURE

My Thoughts: Joker/1917

Winner: Parasite

OMG WHAT A HISTORICAL NIGHT!!! At the time of giving my thoughts, I hadn't seen Parasite as it hadn't been released in the UK. But after having seen it, wow, what a deserved win! All the films in this category were really up there, and unlike some years where you can really guess the winner, we really were given a fab selection this year. Congrats to the Parasite team, and let's keep foreign language films in all cinemas so everyone can appreciate stories from all over the world. I really love subtitled films, especially in the cinema. You really enter into someones world, and it's amazing that the world of Parasite won the night overall.


BEST DIRECTOR

My Thoughts: Todd Phillips / Sam Mendes

Winner: Bong Joon-ho

Again, I refer to my previous comment, wow to all the directors, but a big bloody (no pun intended) congrats to Bong!!!


BEST ACTRESS

My Thoughts: Renee Zellweger

Winner: Renee Zellweger

Yasss I guessed it! I adore Renee, and she is absolutely out of this world as Judy!


BEST ACTOR

My Thoughts: Joaquin Phoenix (special shoutout to Taron Egerton!!!)

Winner: Joaquin Phoenix

Again, I'm on a roll hun!! Joaquin really put his absolute everything in to play the Joker, and he completely made the film.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

My Thoughts: Florence Pugh

Winner: Laura Dern

I ain't mad as all the ladies deserved it, it was definitely a tough one. I love Florence, but I also love Laura Dern in Marriage story, so well deserved!


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

My Thoughts: Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood / Anthony Hopkins - The Two Popes (special shoutout to Sam Rockwell, omg yes hun!!!)

Winner: Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I kinda expected this result, even though I would've chosen other winners. Doesn't mean I didn't like Brad, I'm super happy for him, but everyone in this category was fab!


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

My Thoughts: 1917 - Roger Deakins

Winner: 1917 - Roger Deakins

YES ROGER LAD!!!!!


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

My Thoughts: Knives Out / Marriage Story

Winner: Parasite - Bong Joon-ho & Han Jin Won

Again, I hadn't seen Parasite at the time, but now I know it truly deserves its win! But how amazing to have such a year of new and diverse stories that people wanted to tell!


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

My Thoughts: Little Women / The Two Popes

Winner: Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi

What another moment for the history books! the first indigenous filmmaker to win an Oscar!! He said in his speech:

"I dedicate this to all the indigenous kids in the world who want to do art and dance and write stories... We are the original storytellers and we can make it here as well."


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

My Thoughts: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Winner: Toy Story 4

Shame about the dragons, but props for the film series we all love and adore and cry every time in number 3 to!


BEST ORIGINAL SONG

My Thoughts: (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again - Rocketman / Into the Unknown - Frozen 2 / Stand Up - Harriet

Winner: (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again - Rocketman (Elton John & Bernie Taupin)

So many good tunes!!! but yep, totally agree with the win for Rocketman!


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

My Thoughts: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker / Marriage Story

Winner: Joker - Hildur Guðnadóttir

unexpected, but congrats! I love the underdog winning (meaning, Joker wasn't high up to win this one, so amazing they get the recognition they deserve)!


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

My Thoughts: The Lion King / Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


Winner: 1917

Interesting. I'm not disappointed, I just feel some films from this past year have been so SFX heavy (e.g. Star Wars, Endgame, etc), so I think it's interesting that they chose 1917. But it really makes me wanna look into the behind the scenes of it more!


BEST FILM EDITING

My Thoughts: Ford V Ferrari

Winner: Ford V Ferrari

Yass hun, called it!


BEST COSTUME DESIGN

My Thoughts: Little Women - Jacqueline Durran / Jojo Rabbit - Mayes C Rubeo

Winner: Little Women - Jacqueline Durran

those dresses deserve every award!!! can I have one please??


BEST SOUND EDITING

My Thoughts: Ford V Ferrari - Donald Sylvester

Winner: Ford V Ferrari - Donald Sylvester

those vroom vroom noises were spot on!!


BEST SOUND MIXING

My Thoughts: Ford V Ferrari / Joker

Winner: 1917 - Mark Taylor & Stuart Wilson

to create such a realistic war zone through sound must look like an easy task, but I bet it's the biggest challenge, so all my respect to the 1917 team!


BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

My Thoughts: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Barbara Ling & Nancy Haigh / Jojo Rabbit - Ra Vincent & Nora Sopkova

Winner: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Barbara Ling & Nancy Haigh

HOW DO THEY ACTUALLY DO IT?? LIKE HOW DO THEY MAKE ROADS LOOK OLD AND JUST EVERYTHING SO WOW?? so so so totally deserved and respected! (p.s. those questions are rhetorical, I need to know please!!)


BEST MAKE-UP AND HAIRSTYLING

My Thoughts: Bombshell - Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker

Winner: Bombshell - Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker

yes yes yes!!! still not over that film!!


we mention in the podcast that we've not seen everything so I haven't been able to comment on about 3, but that doesn't mean those aren't important! I'm trying to source the short films to see and support, so you should too!

so I scored 9/18, 50% ain't bad! but luckily I didn't bet hahaha! might've only just broken even!

This Oscars time has been an odd one. the whole of twitter was MAD when no female directors were nominated, but now we've had the show, and some historic wins have taken place, everyone seems to be very chill. I'm obviously so so happy for all the nominees and winners, but like in my previous blog post, I feel awards shows can have a negative effect on films, suggesting the ones that aren't nominated aren't good enough. But after this show, I really hope people keep creating, telling stories, and being their authentic selves, and don't let something like this get them down. I'm gonna keep writing. I'm gonna be inspired by my favourite films from the past year, a lot amazing and not nominated. let's show them that the steretypical person shouldn't be the only person nominated. we have voices and important stories, and we'll be on the list one day.

keep going future anna, you're doing fab!

(beep)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Spread positivity. If you disobey these 2 rules in any way, I will never answer your call.