06/04/2019

FILM REVIEW: The Old Man & The Gun

The other day I went to the cinema to see The Old Man & The Gun

I really really liked it. It was charming, delightful,  a new classic really. I so badly want to see it again and recommend it to everyone I know. It was also filmed on Super 16mm so it has a special place in my heart. 

The film tells the story of Forrest Tucker, a criminal who has been in and out of prison for the last 60 years. After he escapes prison for the 16thtime, he begins to rob banks all through America. Police try all they can to find him, but as he begins to fall in love, will he be a changed man?

I’d never heard of Tucker prior to the film, and even though he was a criminal, he seems like such a lovely guy and his story just made me smile. I like how it presented the criminal as a person and not just as a bad guy. Like the film says, he wasn’t trying to make a living, he was just trying to live and I like that.

The rest of the review will contain spoilers, so if you’re happy with that, please continue, and if not, I’ll see you around. 

STORY

So, you know the basic outline, but I’m going to go into a little detail on the beginning, middle and end.

We meet Forrest, a lovely man who likes to rob banks. We also meet Detective John Hunt and his family. As Forrest goes to rob a bank, Hunt and his 2 children are also at the scene, but unaware until the manager locks the doors and states that there has just been a robbery. Hunt takes the case, wanting to find out the truth about what has happened.

Forrest is chased by police countless times through many of the events but luckily spots a lady having trouble on the side of the road with her car, he stops to help her and the police rush past unaware. To thank him for his help, Jewell treats Forrest to coffee and asks what he does. Jewel isn’t sure whether to believe him or not, but both charmed by each other, they exchange numbers.

Hunt and his colleagues find over 70 cases that all link to a man entering banks and stealing money. Hunt is sure it’s Forrest but before he can investigate more, he has to pass the case to someone else.

More banks are robbed, Jewel and Forrest go on more dates, and he is finally caught after trying his hardest to run from the law.

Jewell visits Forrest in prison and is presented with a list of 16 ways Forrest has previously escaped, number 17 is blank. Jewel asks Forrest to do his time, and after a year passes, he leaves a free man and Jewell picks him up.

Life seems good, simple, but not good enough. Forrest leaves the house one morning and heads to a bank, ready to live his life how he wants.

I liked the story, the way it was told was just so beautiful but friendly. I really wanted to sit with Forrest and ask him questions and learn more about his life. He wasn’t painted as a bad guy, he was shown as a gentleman with a smile on his face which police reports always noted.

It felt so real and even though I thought the end was a little boring up until the last minute, the story was very well told and I’m sure if Forrest was alive, he’d love it.

CAST

Wow, this cast was so so perfect.

Forrest was played by Robert Redford who has said that this was his last film and he really did go out on a bang. He bought so much charm to the role, I couldn’t think anyone who could do it better.

Sissy Spacek played Jewel and she was stunning. The character was pretty, witty and just so loveable.

Casey Affleck played Detective John Hunt and I though he was amazing. People have a lot of opinions of him due to allegations, but I don’t want to discuss that here. I will just say I really liked his character and how he played him.

MUSIC & SOUND

During the police chases, I loved the song choices. They were peaceful, and calm compared to the chaos on screen but worked so so well. I’d love to listen to the soundtrack, it was a good one!

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Wow wow wow, like I’ve said, the film was recorded on Super 16mm and if you don’t know what that is just imagine old home movies and cinema classics. When I originally saw the trailer, I thought it was an older film that had been restored for Christmas like they’re doing with a few classics, but then I realised it was new and just had to see it. I’m so glad they chose to film it this way, it really gave the film an old charm that would’ve been missed without it.

MISE-EN-SCENE

To be honest, just the whole look of the film had me charmed. The sets, the costumes, the props, it really did feel like I had been taken back in time. It didn’t feel new, it felt just perfect. You just have to go and see it!

ANYTHING ELSE?

I think that’s everything. I truly enjoyed the film, it was just beautiful. I really hope I can get my hands on the dvd so I can show it to everyone I know when it’s released. It really is something special.

So that’s my kinda review/me just spilling my thoughts on The Old Man & The Gun. Have you seen it? Are you going to? What are your thoughts? Let me know as I’d love to hear your opinion.

Have a great day, and I’ll see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Spread positivity. If you disobey these 2 rules in any way, I will never answer your call.